Polyplumb - viable to replace old copper pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive got a mess of copper pipe around an old house which id like to replace, firstly because some of its leaking and secondly because I hate messy pipework. Getting a plumber in to sort it all could be expensive for both labour and new copper.

Would it be viable to use polyplumb or similar to replace the copper pipe myself? The youtube videos look straight forward.

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Many thanks!
Tom.

Sponsored Links
You could use plastic but be aware that few professionals prefer it.

Even those who do only like it because its quicker for them to install.

Just search the forum for plenty of pointless discussions about it.

Tony

Do you live within five miles of any mice? They like to chew on it to keep their teeth in shape...

I have been to half a dozen plastic-nibble-leak-replace-with-copper jobs... you have been warned!

@leakydave Yes I do im surrounded by fields, the cat loves it but I guess my pipes will not!

Sponsored Links
Never had a plastic pipe eaten by rodents - even in London, where there are rather a lot of them also. A mouse will get through copper just as quick.

Plastic is find where it can't be seen, and shouldn't be discounted just because it is a "new fangled thing".

Something with sharp teeth has even been chewing on my wheelie bins!

I had squirrels in my loft which chew a lot of insulation off the mains cable!

Perhaps there is plenty of better food in London? Although I think they chew it for the feeling as it has no food value and cannot be very tasty.

Also I have had rats and mice chewing wire insulation in boilers but I cannot remember a pipe leaking from rodent intervention either.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back