Polystyrene backed lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of re-decorating. Wife wants polystyrene lining paper stuck on the walls before the new paper (who am I to argue!). It's an exterior wall, '70s build, and always feels cold to the touch. The lining paper is the type that B&Q sell and has polystyrene one side with a paper backing on the other. Okay, I'm going along with it but the question is once this stuff is up do I need to cross line it with normal lining paper before putting up the final wallpaper or do I paper direct onto it?

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend using Wallrock Thermal liner instead. The polystyrene stuff does a job but is always going to be a fire hazard. Ok, the thermal liner is a lot more expensive, and harder to use, but it is a much better product in my opinion.
If you are intent on using the polystyrene product, I would recommend cross lining before the final paper. However, I'm not 100% sure if you just mean the plain rolls of polystyrene or the actual polystyrene backed lining paper (reading back it sounds like the latter), which can allow you to paper directly onto it. Once you get the stuff on the wall, if there is any unevenness, cross lining would be beneficial, and even lightly filling any visible joints is well worth the effort.

Last edited:
One of the worst problems with the polystyrene rolls, is that it marks so damned easily. I'd use it again in a wardrobe, but not on a normal wall.

What exactly are you trying to do/achieve though

Sponsored Links
The stuff I'm using is sold in B&Q, Red Label insulating lining paper. 4mm polystyrene with a 'reinforced lining paper' on one side. It's a real pain in the a*se to put up but the finish is a lot better than the wall. It did crease in a couple of places but nothing a little filler won't put right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back