HELP! how to remove weird polystyrene lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently removing all the anagylpta wallpaper and lining paper from a recently bought derelict victorian semi. Strangely, on the party wall, I have just been able to pull off the wallpaper in large easy pieces to discover a silvery very thin metallic lining paper/film which appears to be some kind of polystyrene type material. It is proving almost impossible to remove with my heavy duty steamer. Scoring, scratching, picking very slow work... Any ideas welcome how to approach this wall nightmare. Or if anyone has experienced the same. I am guessing that the paper was put up around 60s, as a new idea for either sound/heat insulation.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Think from memory that this was called MEGA PROOF, silver on one side and black bitumin on the other. Helped stop damp. but very hard to get off afterwards. If bitumin it will need to be sealed with knotting or STYPTIC as a sealer before further decoration.

OOOh I just found some of that in my 1930's flat. It's been put behind a couple of radiators in our house... It was a bit of a b**tard to get off I have to say. WE discovered that a lot of pulling and scrapping worked best. However we only had abou 6m2 to take off. I don't envy you with your whole walls of it!

OOOh I just found some of that in my 1930's flat. It's been put behind a couple of radiators in our house... It was a bit of a b**tard to get off I have to say. WE discovered that a lot of pulling and scrapping worked best. However we only had abou 6m2 to take off. I don't envy you with your whole walls of it!

i think your talking about "reflective foil" in your case
even though its sandwiched between 2 layers of paper it reflects the heat into the room

Sponsored Links
thanks for your help. it definately does not have a bitumin backing. it is marginally thicker than lining paper, but with a silvery/white tinge. very slightly padded with smooth polystyrene. could i melt it perhaps with terps? or other product.

Its an insulation paper caleld Kotina..you can normally dry strip it

only two walls or so - so not much - but have tried dry stripping - taken hours just for small patch. if there are no quick products to remove - then it will be quicker and less frustrating to plasterboard out the walls!

will search for Kotina. Thanks for help.

Or if anyone has experienced the same. I am guessing that the paper was put up around 60s, as a new idea for either sound/heat insulation.

Not sure but Think it could be a type of damp barrier. Came across it only twice where rentokil had been doing work with old chimney breasts / party walls in old properties..
The top paper came off easy but the foil would'nt budge .. so erm I left it :oops: and lined it. No probd..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back