Old lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had wallpaper in our bedroom and wanted to have painted walls instead but to have one wall wallpapered. I have removed the wallpaper and all the backing paper and the only thing left on the walls is the lining paper. I've looked on google and majority of info is saying to remove the lining paper and take walls back to bare plaster and hang new lining paper as old stuff will bubble/lift off. The existing lining paper looks good apart from the odd gouge that happened when I was removing the backing paper and was wondering if anyone had tried painting or hanging paper on existing lining paper and what there success was like. Its not the cost of new lining as it is reasonably priced for 1700gsm but its the time to remove all the lining paper and the bedroom isn't just 4 walls, there are 2 alcoves, a chimney breast and an arch way above the door and as someone who has never wallpapered I am being put off having to line all the walls if I can get away with keeping it. I found that the lining paper was soaking wet when I was removing backing paper but it has not bubbled or lifted even when dried so wouldn't see why putting paint or paste on this would be an issue. Thoughts and advice please

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back