Painting on top of wallpaper backing paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the top layer of some wallpaper which has left its backing paper. Underneath the backing paper is lining paper.

Can I paint over the wallpaper backing paper or I'm I going to have to strip back to the plaster, reline it again and then paint?

Please note I can't paint directly over the plaster as its an old 1940s house with plenty of cracks and imperfections etc hence the need to put lining paper.

Sponsored Links
Apologies if I have misunderstood, but surely you need to remove the wallpaper backing paper to reveal the intact lining paper?

You don't want to be painting over backing paper.

It depends if the backing paper is in good condition and flat to the wall with no bubbles or edges showing.
If it definitely has lining paper underneath you could soak the backing paper in water and gently remove it leaving behind the linng paper. It obviously depends on the condition it's in and if there are any gaps between each piece!
If you do need to re-line it toolstation sell double rolls of 2000 grade lining paper for just over £6. This looks just like plaster if done correctly. Just make sure you fill any gaps with filler and I always put acrylic primer/undercoat on the dried filler, once sanded, before painting.

It depends if the backing paper is in good condition and flat to the wall with no bubbles or edges showing.
If it definitely has lining paper underneath you could soak the backing paper in water and gently remove it leaving behind the linng paper. It obviously depends on the condition it's in and if there are any gaps between each piece!
If you do need to re-line it toolstation sell double rolls of 2000 grade lining paper for just over £6. This looks just like plaster if done correctly. Just make sure you fill any gaps with filler and I always put acrylic primer/undercoat on the dried filler, once sanded, before painting.

Thanks for the tip. The backing paper was in good condition and there definitely is lining paper beneath. I've just gone ahead now and removed it all back to the original wall and will reline and paint over it - don't want to risk it going wrong after i've painted so i've just pulled it all back.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. Sand and fill any big cracks or uneven bits first and size the wall before hanging the lining paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back