Can I apply 'paste the wall' paper on lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice. I have lined my living room walls. The paper that I like is paste the wall wallpaper. Never used this before. Could I apply the paste to the wallpaper on this type of paper or must I apply it to the wall?

Not sure if pasting on top of the lining paper would make the lining paper bubble?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

fluff

Sponsored Links
papering over paper is generally frowned on.

but more importantly, why did you line the walls if you where gonna paper them?

Forget what xr4x4 says. Lining is used to give an even absorboncy rate to the whole wall. It is generally recomended to line before paperhanging if the walls are in a bad condition. With paste the wall type paper it is actually easier to paste the paper in the normal way. As it doesnt expand, once pasted it can be put staright onto the wall.
Papering over lining paper is not the same as papering over existing paper. the paste will not bubble it.

thanks RobbieUK

I lined the walls as they aren't too great and I was not sure which thickness of paper I would be putting on (would depend on what pattern I could find).

Thats great to know. I have found a nice paper but paste the wall type. That is great news that I do not need to wait before putting in on the wall. I did not want to paste the wall - too messy.

thanks

fluff

Sponsored Links
With paste the wall type paper it can be messy so is easier to paste the paper in the normal way. Give it about 1 minute before hanging the paper. All paper expands when wet. Might be advisable to use a seam roller on the joints awell after each length. ;)

thanks guys.

robbie - I like your idea as I don't want to mess about with pasting the wall.

IPD - what probs would I possibly have if I paste the paper and not the wall? The paper I am using could be painted in the future and I intend to put it up with the solvite paste that I mix up (have done the rest of the house with this)?

thanks for your advice

fluff

You wont get any probs with pasting the paper first. If you paste the wall and put the paper on and then smooth the paper out with a papering brush this will no doubt touch the paste on the wall and then be brushed back on the face of the paper. Solvite is fine for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back