Standard lining paper and pasting the wall paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I recently used paste the wall paper and paste and was very impressed with how much easier it is than normal and the results were the best I had ever had with regards to not tearing the paper at sockets etc. and the seams.

I was wondering if it is possible to use paste the wall paste and use normal paste the paper lining paper.

The reason I ask is I have a full house to line , and the normal lining paper is a lot more cost effective.

I appreciate that the paper will bubble and expand once on the wall , but I am hoping that will disappear when the paper dries out .

Has anyone tried this before and have any advice or guidance on doing this.

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Glenn

Sponsored Links
I can understand why you might like paste the wall paper but using a 9 inch roller to paste lining paper is quicker than using a pasting brush. Personally I paste both the walls and the lining paper, and then use a vinyl smoothing tool to remove air bubbles and excess glue. I like being able to walk off site at the end of the day and not worry about clients scrutinising bubbles/lumps caused by excess glue which may or may not shrink back.

It should also be noted that from time to time you may want to stretch the lining paper, particularly when running it around an external corner in a Victorian house. You can't stretch paste the wall products.

Hi Chaps ,

Thanks for your responses it is very much appreciated.

Opps , can I just ask what you mean by stretching the lining paper around corners ( I hate out of square chimney breasts corners !)

I think I will just bite the bullet and use the Erfurt Wallrock Fibreliner Wallpaper White.

Andrew , did you paint the lining paper afterwards or was it papered ?

Many Thanks for your time in replying again

Glenn

Sponsored Links
Opps , can I just ask what you mean by stretching the lining paper around corners ( I hate out of square chimney breasts corners !)

If a corner is not plumb and bows outwards, there are times when you need to force the paper to stretch. In practice, you often need to run the paper around the corner force it to lay flat (by stretching it) and then lay another sheet on top and then cut through both so that the first lining paper only runs an inch or two around the corner, and the second butts up to it as a result of you having just created a new join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back