paste the wall paper

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. seem to keep having the same prob with paste the wall paper. So... I strip existing paper,,,line the wall... then put up this ptw paper ...as it happens I paste the paper as opposed to the wall and hang it. Then next day the seems seem to show !! What am I doing wrong ? Is the lining soaking the paste therefore top paper shrinking or am I wrong to paste the paper as opposed to the wall ? Help me !!!!

Sponsored Links
hi all. seem to keep having the same prob with paste the wall paper. So... I strip existing paper,,,line the wall... then put up this ptw paper ...as it happens I paste the paper as opposed to the wall and hang it. Then next day the seems seem to show !! What am I doing wrong ? Is the lining soaking the paste therefore top paper shrinking or am I wrong to paste the paper as opposed to the wall ? Help me !!!!
Wonder are you letting it soak? Whats it say on label ?
PTW paper is not usually designed for soaking. I usually find pasting wall and hanging length straitaway is a doddle. If you paste PTW paper hang it strait away.

Shrinkage can be caused by exessive heat while drying or the extreme opposite if room goes too cold and dank.
But mostly shrinkage can be put down to excessive pressure/ stretching whilst hangin. especially if wall is not sized/prepared proper. Sometimes though one comes along and joints peep. grrr

Good luck.

Thanks for replies. Have lined the wall and put the ptw paper up the following day...and both times the seams have opened a few hours after.....should I have 'sized' the lining paper ?

Sponsored Links
.....should I have 'sized' the lining paper ?

I dont size the lining as the lining surface should be the perfect base for a paper. thats the purpose really to give a base that is not too absorbant yet not tooo glass like. Though I have heard people say they do size lining.
As I said I paste the wall and find it a doddle ( took a few rolls b4 I was convinced tho ;) )
Are you pressing too hard/ stretching the paper? Just gently brush out,
Is paste oosing out as you press?
Is the heating off in the room while it's drying?
Is the room able to breathe. Ventilate? while it dries.

What does label say??? some makes are different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back