Which way to paste??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When hanging "paste the wall paper" over a wall which has lining paper on which is the best way do I paste the lining paper or the wallpaper? And any more tips which I might find helpful as this is the first time I have used paste the wall paper.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As it says paste the wall that has the lining paper hung on it.

Some professionals do paste "paste the wall paper" because they feel it is better (and I reckon that they feel pasting the wall is a bit "DIY"!) pasting a paste the wall can cause problems as it is not designed to soak or "book" before hanging. You might get trouble with stretching or shrinking if you do.

They often suggest laying the whole roll on the floor and pulling what you need off and up onto the wall then cutting off, but I found it more trouble than it is worth just cut your lengths as usual! ;)

I always preferred to paste the wallpaper if hanging on lining paper (and occasionally when just hanging directly onto the wall).
There shouldn't be any problem with expansion when pasting the back of 'paste the wall wallpaper' because they are non-woven so shouldn't expand or contract. This also means that there is no need to let the paper soak - you can just go straight to the wall as soon as it is pasted.
'Booking' can be one problem for the DIYer because, unlike with standard papers where creases from booking can be stretched out, paste the wall papers often show crease marks if folded too tightly.

In short, you can do it either way. :)

The thing is with pasting the wall, you have to paste wider than the piece of paper you are hanging, then when brushing it out you start to drag paste back across the face of the paper. The paper is designed not to expand so if you paste the paper and hang it straight away you shouldn't have any problems. Always seam role the joints on each piece as you go along and you shouldn't have any problems.

Sponsored Links
As Robbie has said paste the wall is a mucky business ,

I would size the walls over the lining paper allow to dry, then paste the paper, I would hang and paste one length at time so the paper does not soak and crease/stretch at the folds.
The paste should reactivate the size ensuring that all parts of the paper stick.

Some of the above makes it all sound horribly complicated, when it needn't be. I suggest:

1. Crossline the already sized wall with Mav Erfurt Wallrock Fibreliner. Paste the wall only, making sure that every square inch is pasted. Do not overlap at all, even if the wall is not totally flat. (It is better to have a slight gap/crack than an overlap).

2. Allow 24 hours to dry.

3. Hang the top paper, preferably using the same paste as for the lining paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back