What happens when you paste the wall with PTP lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve prepped a bedroom ready for lining and painting. Have some rolls of Erfurt 1400 Red label lining paper along with a bag of Solvite All Purpose adhesive, paper instructions say to paste the paper….

It’s been a while since I’ve done any wallpapering, so watched a few YouTube videos and saw how easy the PTW method can be. My question to all you experienced people here is, can I successfully paste the wall instead of pasting the paper? If not, what would happen or why this would not work? What would the symptoms be by not following the PTP method?

I have a pasting table which I can use if necessary, but would like to give the PTW a go if that would work?

Your thoughts and advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
PTW papers don't expand, hence why you can PTW and apply them. PTP's expand slightly after pasting, hence why the paper's instructions advises how long to leave the paper after pasting before hanging. If you PTW and hang the PTP straight away, the joins will creep over one another as the paper expands.

In effect, with PTW papers, you can PTW or PTP, either way doesn't technically matter.

PTP papers are more paper whereas PTW papers are fabric.

Last edited:
As above.

PTW papers have woven backings. Lining paper does not.

I would go with @Bonni 's advice

Sponsored Links
My question to all you experienced people here is, can I successfully paste the wall instead of pasting the paper? If not, what would happen or why this would not work? What would the symptoms be by not following the PTP method?

Once on the wall, the paper would expand, bubble and sag. Pasting the paper, allows the paper to expand first, on the wall as it dries, it tries to shrink slightly and become tighter, hiding minor blemishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back