Wallpapering - paste on paper or wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to redecorate the bedroom, I'm stripping existing painted lining paper and going to hang new lining paper and paint again.

Planning to do paste-the-wall method as it sounds simpler and easier on all accounts. Wife went to wickes today to get these two
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Lining-Paper-1400-Gauge-20m/p/195463
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Ready-Mixed-Wallpaper-Paste---5kg/p/610094

The paper doesn't mention if it's for paste the paper or paste the wall, but it's the only wickes one on the site, and the adhesive said for use with paste the wall method, so I thought all good.

The roll of paper she's bought appears to be exactly the right one, except it says on it 'paste the paper'. She said that was the only type there, though one of the online reviews says first time trying paste the wall and it turned out great. Though who knows if they bundle reviews together for separate listings?

The adhesive she got has all the same descriptions as the online listing but doesn't say explicitly which method it's for, but in the instructions on the back it says about pasting the paper.

I've read you should make sure you get the right sort of paper as the paste the paper stuff will absord the liquid differently, so finding it hard to know if I'm worrying too much.

Any wisdom?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t chance pasting the wall for anything other than specific 'paste the wall' paper. I’ve only Used paste the wall paper once and it was as thin as tissue paper. All conventional papers need to soak for a certain time - it normally tells you the soak time on the label. 1400 lining paper is fairly thick. That will need a good soak. If you don’t paste right to the edge and let it soak, it will lift at the joins. The paste will be okay but mixing your own is a lot cheaper and better.

Last edited:
OK thanks, paste on the paper it is then. Best go and buy a table for it.

On another note, my house was built in 1897 and the room has lime render. We've started peeping the wallpaper back, in some places the old vinegar and warm water does the trick nicely but in others it's still a right pain. With a 2 year old running around the house with no nursery open and a pregnant wife who is happy to help but obviously I don't want her overworked, I decided best to buy a steamer to speed things up. So long as the render looks in vaguely decent knick and doesn't sound too 'shot' when I knock it, it's no more likely to damage it than for modern gypsum plaster is it?

Sponsored Links
"Paste the wall" means "Size the wall" , paint the wall with a thinned down solution of Paste , leave to dry , This helps the paper to slide and stick , A light rub down with glass paper
I normally cut three lengths of lining paper paste all three then hang the first one this helps the paper to soak , then cut and paste fourth length , hang second length and so on .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back