Paste the wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read previous posts on this topic but am still not sure whether pasting PTW paper instead of the wall is a bad thing or a complete no-no. I had no choice with the paper (strong willed granddaughter!) but would much prefer to use the normal method which I am very happy with (and good at). One needs flexibility in the paper when doing behind/around an electric socket for example and it seems to me that PTW paper would not be so easy to use in that area. How does the technique of overlapping at a corner then cutting through both layers work with PTW. Basic question -if I paste the (PTW) paper, will I regret it and why? The fact that it is (allegedly) easier to use doesn't bother me at all. Gdad.

Sponsored Links
If you are doing the work for your granddaughter, I'd say you should be able to choose which method you use!

The advantage of PTW is that you don't need room for the pasting table, which can be an issue in confined spaces.

PTW papers can be applied using the traditional method too, but if it's a flimsy, thin paper PTW reduces the risk of it stretching by being overhandled.

Some decorators do a belt and braces job by pasting the wall AND pasting the paper, although if the wall is well-sized (ie not too porous), it shouldn't be necessary.

Thank you (it was the choice of pattern that decided the paper which only came in PTW, and it is a fairly robust paper).

May I ask if you have personally hung PTW paper by pasting the paper with no ill effects?

Thank you (it was the choice of pattern that decided the paper which only came in PTW, and it is a fairly robust paper).

May I ask if you have personally hung PTW paper by pasting the paper with no ill effects?

No, because it's easier to paste the wall. I have an expensive paste-spreading machine for non-PTW papers, but I still prefer to paste the wall when possible. PTW papers have no soaking time either, so if you pasted the paper first I wonder whether that might make it more liable to stretch/shrink? It shouldn't do, as PTW papers are supposed not to do that, but I wouldn't risk it , personally.

If you've got a whole room to do you could try two lengths the traditional way,. leave overnight then see if you're happy with the join before continuing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I've since looked at the British Coating Federation's site and it is quite clear that PTW can be pasted if you want. However, I only have one (feature) wall to do and I might just follow your sensible advice and do two lengths by PTW and see how I get on. Thank you for your interest.

FWIW the secret of success with hanging modern wallpapers (aplogies if you already know this) is cross-lining the wall first with good quality lining paper - preferably at least 1000 grade, and allowing it to dry for at least 48 hours before applying the top paper. Hanging the lining paper vertically often leads to disappointing results with the top paper (seams coming away, shrinking etc).

The only thing with paste the wall papers is that once you have pasted the wall and then hung the paper, whilst brushing the paper out, the past gets on the brush and then on the face of the paper. I have put many PTW papers on and only ever paste the paper, i have never had a problem with this. The benefit of this type of paper is speed !!

Thanks Robbie UK. With only one wall to do speed is not so important and I need a paste table to cut lengths as the paper has a 64 cm repeat. I always like to use methods I have become comfortable with so I'll give some thought now to pasting the paper as in this thread and the others no-one has actually said DONT DO IT BECAUSE.......

I agree. There is a stronger argument for not pasting the wall with traditional papers (they need time to 'soak') than for not pasting PTW papers.

If that makes sense!

I follow that! if my next post ends up in the DIY Disasters thread you'll know what happened!

In case anyone is still following, I pasted the paper, hung it straight away, perfect results.

"Feature" wallpaper from the sheepdog people, washable, strippable, vinyl (I believe).
Thanks again for the advice along the way.

Thanks for reply - I was going to use that myself - but have gone for cross lining with 1400 grade paper and will be hanging a £8 . a roll stripe so no match . Always useful to know how a Big Brand thing performs

In my experience there is no correlation between the cost of a wallpaper and ease of hanging. Some of the best to hang are often the unpretentious ones from Homebase etc. and until recently the worst were definitely Laura Ashelys' 30 odd quid a roll rubbish. They have improved the pulp now, however (after multiple complaints form customers).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back