Lining paper then wallpaper - how to do it please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wallpaper a room which has one recent plasterboard/skimmed wall (smooth as the proverbial virgin's thigh), the rest are bare '60s plaster on solid walls. All the plaster is sound, but different lots of building work have left uneven areas where a newer surface joins old - plus dozens of 'bullet-holes' where things have been fixed to the walls at different times, and the usual minor cracks.
I'll do as much filling/sanding as I can, but I think at least one wall will need lining paper too. Questions:
1. Will there be any noticeable difference after wallpapering if some walls have been lined and some not?
2. I've never wallpapered over fresh lining paper before - what's the technique? Just size the lining paper and carry on as usual? Will the wallpaper on the lined walls bubble up more?
3. I don't need to do anything weird like hang the lining paper horizontally, do I? Presumably it's better to have the wallpaper seams staggered with the lining paper.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Fior painting line vertically, for wallpaper line horizontally. Use a chalk line to get the paper level and start at the top of the wall. Don't overlap, even in cormers, just butt joint as overlaps will show through.

Scrit

1.........yes definatly, you will only notice it though once the walls are painted...the lined wall will show the others up badly.

2....Lining paper is the idea surface to paper over...you dont need to size it though, just paper, the paper shouldnt bubble up at all providing you have hang the mining paper correctly.

3...You might find horizontal (cross) lining easier if you have the right equipment such as a scaffold board and a couple of pairs of steps...if not line vertically..but start in a different place to where you would start the finish paper.

Cut the lining paper tight into the corners...DONT take it around whatever you do...

If your going to cross line DONT use the ceiling/wall line as a guide...mark your own line about 500cm's down from the ceiling and work from that.

As Scrit says dont overlap the lining paper.

Sens me your e mail address and i'll send you, and anyone else whos interested, some hanging instructions for lining paper..dont panic..im nt a company...you wont get bombarded with spam or virus''s

Zampa me owd china,
you said not to use the ceiling as a guide. Why not? As long as you trim the joint against the ceiling so that it's tight, what's the problem? Surely it doesn't matter if the horizontal joint line isn't truely square. If you're going to paper over it or paint it then you won't see that the joint isn't true anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, advice appreciated. Think I might wimp out of the horizontal bit and do the lining paper vertically.
Zampa, I'll pm my email to you when I've figured out how!

johnf

Even though I consider my self not bad as an amateur wallpapering, horizontally lining walls has always left me cold. I've lined a few walls but I've also wimped out and done it vertically. The bit about cutting tight into the corners is good advice. Apart from that the end result of vertical lining seemed fine to me?

gcol said:
Zampa me owd china,
you said not to use the ceiling as a guide. Why not? As long as you trim the joint against the ceiling so that it's tight, what's the problem? Surely it doesn't matter if the horizontal joint line isn't truely square. If you're going to paper over it or paint it then you won't see that the joint isn't true anyway.

If the line of the ceiling ran out equally from end to end, like it was at a slight angle then no, your right maybe it wouldnt matter...allthough, bear in mind that the last piece you put in along the bottom of the wall will have an irregular shape...wider at one end tan the other...wedge shaped...which will be a right pain to cut on the paste table

But I was thinking more on the lines on the ceiling line being a little wavy...spose it dipped an peaked a few times down the wall...then JF would find himself in trouble...

So its far better to work from a striaght line...

Have you been watching to many DIY programmes again? ;)

Zampa, I'll pm my email to you when I've figured out how!

Yul have a job..they dont have a pm facility on here..my e mail addy is in my profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back