Do I need to use lining paper when wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never used lining paper before, when wallpapering, but the wallpaper that I am changing has lining paper underneath and 'she who is all knowlegable' thinks I should also use lining paper. Is it normal to use lining paper or is it only used for a purpose. If the walls are in good condition is it OK to just wallpaper. Am I going to regret not using lining paper, and, believe me, regret I will and probably on a daily basis!

Sponsored Links
Decisions....decisions...dilemmas..

You say the wallpaper already has lining underneath, well, sometimes it's possible to strip the paper off and leave the lining intacto'.
Sometimes it's not.

If you strip it all off, make good all areas and then size and paper it, then...it might be alright.
Sometimes it's not.
If it all goes wrong, joints splitting/background showing through etc. you'll have no comeback from the manufacturers as they will say it needed lining, however I would say that the majority of my papering jobs are not lined, but I'm a "class act":cool:

I often meet people that say: "I've never lined in my life and never had a problem" ...then on the other hand, I often see walls papered like a dogs breakfast.

Lining it is twice the work. Then there's the extra cost of the lining and paste... oh dear , oh dear :( yet.. it's safe :confused:

Feeling lucky dgratton....
The choice is yours. ;)

the degree of finish could be a question that you ask the customer.

most would answer "yes" when asked if they wanted a perfect finish.

how many would give the same answer when asked to pay double the price....:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back