Paste the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so I’ve removed my old wallpaper and it’s come off in perfect strips, leaving the lining paper fully in tact, (it’s the back of the old wallpaper not actual lining paper that was put on separate) I’m using paste the wall wallpaper, can I go straight on to the backing paper that’s been left or will this cause an me issue? Thanks for any help and advice

Sponsored Links
I suspect the paste will soak and loosen the backing paper. Just wet it down and scrape it off.

Is it lining paper or just stranded pealable paper and your left with the backing?
You can tell as it's really thin. Lining is way thicker. Many mistake this paper backing as lining paper and when you try hang paper over it bubbles up

it’s thin, it’s the backing of the wallpaper not an actual lining paper

Sponsored Links
I suspect the paste will soak and loosen the backing paper. Just wet it down and scrape it off.
Thank you, I thought as much, the wall is huge so was trying to save myself a job

Is it lining paper or just stranded pealable paper and your left with the backing?
You can tell as it's really thin. Lining is way thicker. Many mistake this paper backing as lining paper and when you try hang paper over it bubbles up
Thank you for your reply, was trying to save myself a job but will remove

Comes off easy.
Spray water or car sponge it. Takes 2 goes and give it 10 mins it can peel off easy

Last edited:
As said, peel it off or your paste will destroy it and any chance you have of hanging your new stuff.
Lining paper, if hung correctly, is hung horizontally to avoid your top paper lining up with an edge of the lining paper.
Although lining paper is wider than standard paper, (and manufacturers say your top papers will never line up with the lining paper), there is always that slim chance they will line up.
If your walls are flat/smooth enough then there is no need to use lining paper. Must admit, I was sceptical about pasting the wall for the first time because I had pasted the paper for so many years and thought it was just a fad. But now I love it! No more handling a big length of wet paper that sticks to everything it touches, rips like tissue if it is thin and stretches unevenly, especially on bigger patterns.

Re paste wall paper
I use a 9inch roller to apply paste to paper. Thin amount.
Then roll a thin amount on wall. This vs a good even layer on just the wall.
Use ready mixed paste vs flake all the time now. Lower water content and all around better

I always use ready mix paste now and on paste the wall I still paste the paper as normal but zero soak time. I find pasting the wall gives me a longer job as you are constantly putting wet paste onto your nice new wallpaper so you have to sponge it off. Also things like radiators are difficult to paste the wall behind. But then, for someone else who doesn't do wallpapering often, pasting the wall might be much easier for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back