Polystyrene beads bottom of boiler + water dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

A damp patch on the wall under my boiler started forming a couple of months ago. Unscrewing a panel below the boiler, a whole bunch of polystyrene beads came out. I understand these would have been used as wall insulation.

The boiler was only installed 3 years ago (had a service last year), so I'm not sure why the beads are suddenly coming out now. There are a number of gaps around various pipes going outside It gives on to a balcony), but it's impossible to figure out where the beads are coming out from. There are a few of them outside as well, but most of them seem to be collecting on the inside.

Similarly the water - there's not a dripping as such, could easily go a few hours without seeing anything. But I did see a couple of drops of water accumulating in the gap where the white pipe on the left is in the attached picture, so it's either coming from around that pipe, or at least ending up there.

So I guess the questions is is this something that the boiler servicing engineer could deal with? Related to that, is there anything I can use to safely try and block up the various gaps around the pipes in the boiler? Fire rated expanding foam?

I guess I have two problems - the polystyrene insulation coming out and the water dripping. They must be related but just wondering if there's anything I can try first without having to get the boiler taken out and re-installed which could get expensive!

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back