Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles allowed???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (for my own house) in my bedroom - i have artex styled wallpaper on the ceiling which i hate!

the ceiling is not best shape from what i recall hence my father putting the paper on the ceiling instead of the full plasterboard, skimming job.

theres a lot of stuff in the room so i dont want to skim now either. not spend the money.

but i have come cross these tiles Polystyrene tiles that i quite like that i can just stick on
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...eiling-tiles---white---coverage-2-sq-m-412316

but people are telling me they are not allowed as they catch fire etc.

why do they sell them then??? mind you i could not find in b&q or wickes - only homebase.....

your guidance is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The modern ones have fire retardent in them. However, that won't stop them giving off toxic smoke in a fire.

If you ever want to sell or rent your house most surveyors will highlight them and advise their removal.

A firefighter who risked his life to save a pensioner when he ran into a burning building filled with deadly cyanide fumes today said: “I just had to get her out.”

Ian Birks rushed into the 95-year-old woman’s smoke-logged home without his breathing apparatus mask on because he feared she was seconds from being overcome by toxic fumes.

Fire crews were called to the house on Poulton Road, Blackpool, after a blaze broke out in the kitchen, engulfing the curtains and ceiling in flames.

The pensioner called the emergency services, and tried to make her way out of the property.

But she was overpowered by smoke and toxic hydrogen cyanide fumes given off from burning polystyrene ceiling tiles in the room.

A passerby flagged down the first fire engine, directing them to the property and told the crew about the woman inside.

Firefighter Birks said: “The front door and the vestibule door of the house were wide open and, as I looked in, I could just see a pair of legs and two crutches.”

He added: “From the waist upwards I couldn’t see anything because of the thick, black smoke.
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/firefighter-risks-life-to-save-woman-95-1-5586537

"There were polystyrene ceiling tiles in the kitchen and these gave off smoke as they decomposed. There was some quite nasty smoke in the kitchen.

“We advise the removal of polystyrene ceiling tiles as polystyrene can give off really black, toxic smoke when it is heated or affected by fire.”
http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...en_blaze/?action=complain&cid=11419589&ref=rc

hmm doesnt seem worth it then tbh - rent or otherwise

i may have to suffer skimming or look into plain (lining ) paper for the ceiling...??

any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back