Polythene sheet garden office roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than putting on heavy insulated panels or an expensive wooden roof I am intending to roof my garden room with a polythene sheet heavy duty. The advantages being the ease of installation the cheapness and lots of light. What would be the drawbacks to this idea? I would have thought if it was properly sealed unmade watertight then I can't see a problem with it .

Sponsored Links
Sunlight makes polythene go brittle and disintegrate.

Alec_t is probably right but you could use polycarbonate sheet which is quite tough and lets in lots of light.

Sponsored Links
If I was to use heavy duty clear polythene sheet how would I fix it to the wooden frame?

snow load can be very heavy as can wind load
you need an actual structure to take the weight not just a framework
i once used heavy polythene as a2ft wide temporary roof over a path at a say 12-15 % degree gentle slope
i notice a leak within a week after farting about for perhaps 4 weeks trying to sort it getting progressively worse i realized there where many holes and cats have sharp claws so eventually changed it
because it was a 12ish % angle most ran down the polythene to the fence on a flatter roof it will drip at the hole

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back