Pond safe weedkiller.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a safe weed killer to use near an ornamental fish pond?

I need to treat an area which is slightly uphill of the pond and I am concerned about any ify residues working their way down into the water.

I have looked at all the products in the usual places, but they all seem to warn against use near fish.

Sponsored Links
None that I know of, best thing is to manually sort it out ie: get in there and pull the weeds out on a regular basis.

ALL weedkillers are poisonous or toxic or both, as are all pesticides.

What is growing in the patch you want to clear, and what do you want to grow there? Let me know, there may be a safe alternative.

Oilman, my apologies for the late reply .

The problem is mainly rye grass coming up between the(very large) stones in a rockery. The stones are stopping me getting at the base of the weeds with a hoe or spade and I am fighting a losing battle! The area is uphill of my pond and only about 6 feet away from the water. Obviously my concern is any residue from conventional weed killers washing down into the water and harming the pondlife.

I was hoping there may be a pond friendly version available as the stones are big, deeply set and have been there for years.

Your name and trade has just just given me an idea. :idea: Do you think a blow lamp would see them off? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I know the problem, I have it too.

I've tried burning, it has an effect, but the grass often seems to survive. Mechanical removal is possibly best though tedious. What might be possible is to apply glyphosate (or even paraquat) using a paintbrush to the individual plants. The problem with this stuff is there is some effect on the micro-flora/fauna from the vehicle that carries the glyphosate. Just depends on the level of destruction you are prepared to inflict on nature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back