Pool Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to see a job which was badly installed.

Outdoor swimming pool surrounded by Mains voltage Robus LED ground lights.
These lights are about 500mm away from the pool edge.
They were also not RCD protected.

The light in the pool is fed from a buried enclosure less than 500mm away from the edge of the pool.
Its a 300 watt pool light, cant see a transformer for it in the pool house so presume its buried under the enclosure. Pool house 15-20 m away.
You can pop the enclosure lid off quite easily where you can see the connections to the pool light via connector blocks!

The individual lights around the pool were connected together via metal three way conduit boxes.

All have rusted and lights trip.

Now this is really poor, but needs putting right, or scrapping

The owner wants to keep lights around the pool perimeter.
This is where I would like some advice.

Can you actually have ELV lights around the pool in zone 1

702.55.4 makes me think not

But I might be misinterpreting the reg

What if the power source/transformers were in the pool house. and lights fed only via ELV supply

That would then bring about the issue of volt drop and cable size for ELV lights distance is 15 - 20 m

Pool light is 300w

14 poolside lights (don't know)

Any thoughts

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only 25v a.c or 60v d.c ripple free via SELV are allowed in Zone 1. The source of the SELV must be outside of the zones.
Ideally no metallic exposed parts (ie the conduit boxes) on the wiring system in any zone. If there are any they must be connected to the supplementary bonding.

You could fit an enclosure 3.5 metres from the pool edge to overcome any VD issues ?

Have you checked for the supply type as well ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back