Poor Hot Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a new bathroom suite and modern taps we now have poor hot water pressure.Piping is 22ml to point of entry of the taps.The system is a conventional system with Hot Water Cylinder and a 42 gallon tank in the loft approx 60 inches above the base of the cylinder. I don't want to fit a pump if I can avoid it.The other options are to lift the tank to the maximum height (another 20 inches) or would it benefit if I fitted another tank in tandem?. Any advice appreciated !

Sponsored Links
are the taps high pressure taps ? if they are this is the problem .... quite common nowadays. always check the instructions/box before you buy. easy mistake to make though!

Most likely cause is the tap design - are they designed for low pressure systems?
If they are not, it may be possible to fit high flow cartridges / internals

Have any isolators been fitted in the pipework - if so are they full bore or cheap and cheerful - check that all the valves/isolators on the runs from the cistern and cylinder are fully open.

Raising the cistern by 20" will probably not have a noticable effect.

Adding another cistern in tandem won't increase the pressure

If the taps are the main reason for poor flow then I'd start there!

Just a quick thought - is the poor flow only from the HW?

If it is, is the HW flow at the kitchen sink any different from before the new bathroom. If it is then re-check any gate valves supplying the cylinder - not unusual for them to jam partially open/shut.

Sponsored Links
Hi we have checked all the obvious pottential for faults.The taps are supplied from PJH (B&Q).As you state I think the fault is in the moder slim design.I have contacted PJH who stsate that their are no restrictions viz low/High pressure requirements.They did send a repacement tap set which has made no differance,so I presume that the only answer will be to fit a pump (Or change the wife and go back to traditional taps!)

Given that it seems 99% likely to be the tap design,will a pump improve the flow?

would be easier to just fit new taps (low pressure ones). cheaper thans a pump, quicker and easier to do. saying that it's your call.

:D THanks for the replies. Given that the Bath Tap set is 4 parts,Spout,Diverter Valve,Shower Head contol and Shower Head I think it'll have to be the pump-Thaks for your help much appreciated at least I haven't wasted my time lifting the tank 20"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back