Poor Hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a Vokera combi boiler and have been very pleased with it. It's two years old. However over the last six months, the hot water pressure has become less and less.

It was quite powerful two years ago and now it takes ages to even fill up the kitchen sink !!!

Any ideas? I know combi's can be renown for having poor hot water pressure, but surely not this bad !!!!!!!

Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
would help if we knew which model it is.

im guessing its a compact.

if it is remove the flow restrictor in the heat exchanger/mains in connection on the right side of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your advice.

Yes, its a "Compact".

I presume I will have to take the cover off the boiler for this? and is it an easy proceedure?, will I have to drain system etc etc????

Just thought I'd ask before ripping the boiler apart !!!!

Cheers Again,

Brian

Hi, have located, what i thik is the flow restrictor (black plastic thing! with two electrical spade connectors going into it !!!)

To remove this, do I have to drain the system and remove completely? or is there a simpler way !!!!!

Sorry for the silly questions, never removed one before.

Brian

brianmcritchie said:
Hi, have located, what i thik is the flow restrictor (black plastic thing! with two electrical spade connectors going into it !!!)

To remove this, do I have to drain the system and remove completely? or is there a simpler way !!!!!

Sorry for the silly questions, never removed one before.

Brian

no your looking at the wrong thing.

locate the mains water pipe that enters the boiler. follow it past the black plastic thing you are probably talking about(flow switch). follow up until it turns into the heat exchanger. turn off mains, drain excess water by leaving hot tap open and then undo the nut holding the pipe onto the h/e. behind it you will find a coloured disc...usually blu/green. throw this away. redo the nut and turn mains back on. check for leaks and marvel at your new flow rate.
just be sure you realise that by removing the flow restrictor it sometimes is difficult to reseal that connection as it leaves a very slim surface area for the washer. sometimes a new washer is required....mostly not.

Thanks again for your quick response nickso.

Sounds easier than i thought it would be. Will crack on with that tomorrow and let you know how I got on !!!!

Thanks again for your advice.

Brian

There was crap on TV tonight so I thought I'd get rid of the flow restrictor this evening !!!!

Thanks for the advice.

The flow restricor was a small red disc. Binned that and your right. It leaked like a b*****d. Amazingly, I had a similar washer in the shed !!!

After replacing this, my flow rate had increased ten fold. I also found that that my thermostat didn't struggle so much and now gives me a constant amount of heat from the hot tap, as opposed to it going hot and cold due to the poor amount of water flow.

Once again, thanks, you've saved me getting someone in (and grief from her indoors !!!)

Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back