pop up basin waste too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just fitted basin and mixer tap then come to fit the pop up waste and it does not fit ,the tap is a ideal standard basin mixer with pop up waste (slotted) when trying to fasten them together they do not meet they almost touch the top part is at least 20mm too short, any ideas would be welcomed as ive been round my local trade plumbing merchants and they just say swap it with a click one

Sponsored Links
Had this once and couldn't come up with an obvious solution. However the rod coming though the sink was not seen and so I cut it and roughened the edges of the end inch or so with emery paper I fixed the ends onto a little bit of scrap metal rod similarly roughened using some fine wire wrapped round to give the required gap and therefore elongation. Using some JML miraclefix from Makro (which is a methylmethacylate putty) I moulded a bit round all the joins, waited 15 mins for it to go off and I was sorted.

I'm a DIYer not a plumber so there may well be a better and quicker solution

Not sure which part you say doesnt fit, is it the plug which you say doesnt fit or is it the waste which doesnt fit together?

sorry :oops: its the waste part when i put the bottom part of the waste under the basin and then push through the top part of the waste they do not reach each other so i cant screw them together,the top part is a standard 2 inch long neck

Sponsored Links
I may have misunderstood you. My post was in relation to a pop up waste comprising two rods, one poking up through the sink which I had to lenghthen, one connected to the pop up waste. Sorry for the irrelevancy

sorry :oops: its the waste part when i put the bottom part of the waste under the basin and then push through the top part of the waste they do not reach each other so i cant screw them together,the top part is a standard 2 inch long neck

Never come across this before on a basin only on chrome bath fittings.Did you buy the tap and basin together? or is it a replacement tap and puw

they are both new, ive phoned up ideal and they say the wrong part has slipped into some sets ,maybe mine so they are sending me a new part for free ,just hope that fits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back