Pop up popping up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I cant get the pop up in my bathroom basin to stay down. The new bathroom has been installed for 6 months and this has started to happen. The pop up plug just pops up with the weight of the trigger (thats what I call it)
How do I adjust it if it was working before. Do I have to put lead weight to the thread to weigh it down. Help please, she's giving me jip. Everyone else is happy as they can't wash.

Sponsored Links
If it's the type I'm thinking of there should be a plastic / nylon ball joint somewere along the push rod, this will have a knurled nut on it, nip that up to tighten up the ball joint.

There is nothing along the push rod. The two rods are connected by a swivel clip. The upward pressure on the pop up seems high and it is hard to see how the pop up stayed down, is it suction?

Keego is right.just one word wrong :rolleyes: The balljoint is on the side of the waste fitting that goes through the basin :idea: The rod pivots on the balljoint.......god, I`m pedantic today :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've found the joint to which you can adjust the length of the two rods. The thing is whatever length I make the vertical length it still makes too much upward push to keep the plug in.
It is though something has changed on the plug, not enough suction (or whatever) to stay down.

The length adjustment is irrelevant to your problem.

As per both of the previous answers, you're looking in the wrong place - look at the point where the horizontal rod enters the waste fitting. There should be a knurled nut through the end of which you'll probably see a nylon collar. If the nut is loose, then tighten it.

Thanks one and all. As was last said, I was looking in the wrong place and have now found the knurled nut that goes through the waste. Tightened and job done. I was near to going out and buying a sink plug, again many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back