Porcelain tiles on Ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor currently has ceramic tiles layed onto a concrete floor. The Missus has just picked out some porcelain tiles :(
Can i lay the porcelain tiles over the existing tiles, and if so, what prep and adhesive should i i use? the tiles are vritually the same size as well.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do that. You need to make sure the tiles are clean (none greasy), not dusty and dry.
It's recomended that with porcelain you use flexible adhesive cause it sticks to the tiles better. I've never had any problems with Feb fastset though and it's really cheap.
If it's a small area you may want to be on the safe side and use a flexible adhesive. If it's a large area then you may decide to just use a regular adhesive and save around 50% on the adhesive cost (it can add up to a pretty penny).
Personally I wouldn't bother using flexible adhesive for tiles on tiles, but I'm giving you the info so you can make your own mind up.

Just make sure you will still be able to get appliances under the worktops :!:

And use a polimer modified adhesive that is suitable for porcelain as this will contain the required additives to help it bond to the old glaze and new porcelain.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back