Porcelaine tiles stained by grout - any last resorts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a problem

I laid cream / white Porcelaine floor tiles which I have then grouted with Bal flexible grout in Charcoal. The grout pigment seems to have stained the tiles.

Bal advised that it has gone into micropores on the tiles surface, and suggested Nitromors varnish and lacquer remover to break down the grout and then brick acid to clean it up. I tried both of these, plus a lot of other household cleaners and bleaches ets, all with very little affect.
The tiles are supposed to be a high quality Italian Porecelaine, and were not cheap. I was advised by the company I got them from that they would not need sealing - not having to worry about sealing, staining etc, was one of my stipulations when I selected the tile.

I have seen lots of suggestions for lots of possible cleaning solutions, but fear that with the Nitromors and brick acid I have already tried the most aggressive option and this has failed.

Is it worth trying to polish / sand the top surface off the tile - or will the stains go too deep? Or have I exhausted all realistic chances of success?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the grout has penetrated the tile (as it sounds) then you're fecked - you won't be able to shift it. True porcelain tiles (of a decent quality) should not need sealing. What it sounds like you have bought my friend is utter sh*te. Sorry.
I should go back to the retailer that sold you the tiles.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is the conclusion I am coming to, as is the retailer.
I got them from a reputable contact who I have used many times through work (I am an architect)
They are supposed to be finest Italian porcelaine.
The retailer is currently trying to find out from the factory what has happened. They also said no sealing should be required.

Black grout is a nightmare, and next time your specifying a grout on one of your designs Mr Archwombat, remember that Tilers don't like black grout!!!! :)

p.s. what type of porcelain is it, polished? riven? how long did you leave the grout on the tile for etc?

I know, it was on my own house and the tiler was my uncle, who told me it was a nightmare.
In answer to your question, an area about. 2m squared was grouted. It was then wiped off about 15 mins later
as per the instructions. All the tiles have stained equally,
so those that were first grouted are as stained as those that had the grout wiped off after 15 mins.

Smooth Natural? Thats not polished I take it.

Some manufacturers recommend porcelain to be sealed, some not.

Also, from experience, i'd leave black grout on a tile less than one min, work quick with it, get it off quick. Black grout contains a dye, which is why it's stained.

Additionally, black grout never stays black, it always turns Grey (had many a discussion with an Architect/Designer on site about this one). Its such a **** product I wonder why it's still on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back