Portsmouth valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - the overflow from my cold water tank was dripping for some time, always mornings after no hot water use overnight so I replaced fibre washer and piston washer but it still dripped so I've replaced the ballcock.

As the new one appeared to be the same as the old one and the existing inlet section seemed as though it may be a pain to get off I've just swapped a new front section (valve case and lever arm) for the old one - seems okay - any views ? and would you advise PTFE on new threads where old nut joins or should it be okay ?

Sponsored Links
Hi - the overflow from my cold water tank was dripping for some time, always mornings after no hot water use overnight so I replaced fibre washer and piston washer but it still dripped so I've replaced the ballcock.

As the new one appeared to be the same as the old one and the existing inlet section seemed as though it may be a pain to get off I've just swapped a new front section (valve case and lever arm) for the old one - seems okay - any views ? and would you advise PTFE on new threads where old nut joins or should it be okay ?

as long as u replaced fibre washer in union, job done. ;)

Thanks for that

Forgot to fit new fibre washer, left the one in from the new valve, never thought that it may have the impression from the new section and I was fitting to the old one - waters been back on for a couple of hours now and all seems fine - is it best left alone now or do you think I should go back in and fit new washer ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back