Positioning the reinforcing mesh in the foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building my own house. My foundations are supposed to be 600mm wide and 300mm deep with a layer of A393 mesh 75mm from the bottom. The A393 mesh has been delivered and is 4.8 x 2.4m sheets. Ideally I would cut the sheets into four 600mm wide strips. If I do this I end up with some of the long bars right at the side of the foundations. Looking at a cross section of the foundations it would look like this:

-B---------------------B---------------------B-----------------

rather than

----------B--------------------B--------------------B----------

Does this matter? If I wanted to get the long bars “centrally” in the foundations then I would have to cut the mesh into three strips and then trim some of it off which seems a waste.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
It won't matter about getting it in even, you ought to have about 50mm cover to the mesh at the sides anyway so the strips need to be 500mm wide not 600mm to prevent the mesh corroding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back