Possible airlock in system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice please.

We drained our system to fit a new towel radiator and took off another radiator to decorate at the same time. We live in a small flat and only have 3 radiators in total however we have an old baxi back boiler and water cylinder. The tank is fed by a smaller feed and expansion tank which lives above it in our airing cupboard.
We drained off the system seemingly successfully however we did not turn the motor valve to manual it stayed on auto when we did and since refilling, the radiators are all full of water, including the new one and have all been bled but when we put the heating on, the boiler fires up and the pump is on but vibrating and making a lot more noise than normal and the radiators are not getting warm/hot.
The pump is making such a noise I have turned it all off at a fuse switch near the boiler (chimney breast) as I.m worried it may become damaged?????
Everything we have read suggests we have an airlock. We have read to try and bleed the pump by turning the large screw in the centre but this really won't budge.........also having looked for more possible valves to bleed the system from the pump to the cylinder I am unsure and don't really know what I'm looking for.
Should we drain/refill the system again with the motor in manual now?
Did we put the heating on too soon after refilling? Should we have added inhibitor?
In will post a picture of our set up to help you see.
Thanks in advance! :dunno:

Sponsored Links
you really need to try bleed the pump as this sounds like where the airlock is.
did you use a descent size screwdriver on the pump screw ?

yeh we did but no joy. It's at a really tricky angle to get any purchase. I have now bled another valve to the right of the motor as instructed by another forum and loads of air came out............hopeful that it will all kick in okay now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back