POT (potentiometer) - it's purpose?

Some very good answers on this thread.

Staffs, most of the manufacturers courses are pretty poor, half a day listening to their sales pitch & the other half stripping down a boiler. A lot of times you are sitting with CC/CCCs that don't know their arze from their elbow, and they take ages asking basic daft questions.

There're 3 things you need to be a good boiler service engineer; Experience, experience & experience!!

You already have the interest & the willingness to learn, so good luck son.

Sponsored Links
If you are not gas reg then how are you doing cp12s?

You should be going out with a competent boiler engineer. You are asking too advanced questions for your needs now. Most boiler repairers dont know exactly how a pot works just how to test them.

The interesting pots in the old BBC were the faders!

They were actually make before break switches with perhaps 32 positions and resistors to give a constant impedance of 600 ohms using a 't' circuit. Not so big but beautifully made.

Some had a switch to start a playback or on air sign when they were lifted.

Tony

I have done CP12's with a gas engineer I have been working with.

I was workign with one gas engineer a while back, and he was very "dodgy" - was gas safe reg but didn't tightness test properley, missd loads out. Being gas safe reg doesn't make you "brilliant" - it just means you are gas qualified and have passed the ultimate test - that is paying £400+ to GSR!!

I am trying to learn as much as I can, I am not sure where else to learn from really. How do you tes a pot Agile?

Some very good answers on this thread.

Staffs, most of the manufacturers courses are pretty poor, half a day listening to their sales pitch & the other half stripping down a boiler. A lot of times you are sitting with CC/CCCs that don't know their arze from their elbow, and they take ages asking basic daft questions.

There're 3 things you need to be a good boiler service engineer; Experience, experience & experience!!

You already have the interest & the willingness to learn, so good luck son.

Thanks for your help

Actually, I don' live iN Staffs anymore, I live in Middx now! I have heard Vaillant do a course in Slough which is not far from me, and is also near the Glow worm course is held, which I am going to in OCtober.

Are there any other decent books / dvds / cd-roms etc that I can get hold of to larn more from?

I don't know any books, just the school of hard knocks, get it wrong no pay, get it right, pay. Tends to hone your skills.

Mostly the idiots who don't learn are payed regardless.

Sponsored Links
One of our young lads had Mr Combi's DVD, he got it of ebay for a couple of quid. It has the basics - so that may be a good start.

But you'll not get the knowledge of the likes of Tony Agile, DP(Danny) or many others of the good guys on here, without experience.

yeah i've got that dvd too and another off of ebay a while ago, it was very good.

i knw the experience is over time, what's the best way to start/get some experience?? no engineers i know do breakdown's and some i have contacted don't want someone with them :(

what's the first things you wouldo do or any good breakdown engineer would do when called to a boiler fault?

C'mon Tony, this post was made for you. Educate us a little.

I found his doodle wot I rote a while back, actually a schematic for a sensor simulator.
Pretty self-explanatory I think.

potnres.gif

I still do boiler repairs but not as many during this summer/holiday period as I would like.

After two years of no trainees, I have had many enquiries the last few months.

Last was today who wanted to work with me Sunday to Thursday and hoped he would even get paid and then when fully trained he would be able to steal my customers and undercut me. Then there was the question of the headgear which we did not discuss.

But its difficult for anyone who is not deadly serious to tie up with me when I go to a boiler repair. Customers seem to be getting very difficult to please from a day/time point of view and I might end up telling one to look for someone else tomorrow.

Tony

But you'll not get the knowledge of the likes of Tony Agile, DP(Danny) or many others of the good guys on here, without experience.

I am humbled by your comment Delta. I have lot to learn I can assure you.

Advice I would give someone learning the ropes is, take apart a boiler that is to be discarded, dismantle gas valves that are duff, look at PCBs (older ones) and study the components. Over time you will pick up lots of information. One thing that is paramount, do not get into the habbit of praising yourself- let your clients do this for you.

I am humbled by your comment Delta. I have lot to learn I can assure you.

Advice I would give someone learning the ropes is, take apart a boiler that is to be discarded, dismantle gas valves that are duff, look at PCBs (older ones) and study the components. Over time you will pick up lots of information. One thing that is paramount, do not get into the habbit of praising yourself- let your clients do this for you.

Credit where credit is due DP..............Your posts are always worth a read - very informative.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Nice to hear that praise for someone who is also a CC like me.

But the difference is that both Danny and I came from an electronics/mechanical background where our electronics experience gives us a headstart with repairing boilers.

Tony

Thanks for all of your advice/information on my post

I probably sound a little bit nerdy but really am into learning about boiler fault finding. I've studied a few manuals/books on basic fault finding procedures, also studied a coupe of dvds. I'll be attending the Glow worm course at Slough in October and a Ravenheat course in Leeds, also in late October.

I'm hoping to book a palce on the Vailliant course at Slough for the end of September if a place is available, and also want to attend the 3 courses by Baxi at Dartford.

I suppose the only other thing I can do to learn some more is to find a scrap boiler and take the parts out and study them....

Nice to hear that praise for someone who is also a CC like me.

But the difference is that both Danny and I came from an electronics/mechanical background where our electronics experience gives us a headstart with repairing boilers.

Tony

Again, credit where credit is due Tony auld chum.
As a gifted bullsh.tter myself, I can spot one a hundred miles away.

You, Danny & some others know your onions, so always worth a read.
Thanks T, DP & others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back