Potential Floor Joist Issue in 2 floor garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently purchased a home with a lovely, recently constructed 2 floor garage (games room upstairs).

Anyways, it looks exceptionally well finished, good roof, velux windows etc. However, my grandfather pointed out that the floor joists for the upstairs floor are not "joined" using typical metal plates and bolts, instead, are joined mid-span with that thin steel corrugated punched plate (metal gusset?) that is more typically used in the a frames of the roof. I will try and get pics, fortunately, there isvery little in the way of loading upstairs so not too concerned. However, if I wanted to sort this (if it is indeed a problem), I take it stall plates bolted to join the joists would be the way forward?

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you're referring to and I was on a job where the builder (who did a runner with the clients' money) joined floor joists in the middle. I went up onto the first floor, stuck to the sides but it was too late... the first floor gave way and I very nearly fell through with it!!!

Joist spans are there for a reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back