Potential issue with underfloor heating manifold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. So we had a problem with the pump on the boiler feeding our underfloor heating system. As a result I had the chance to have a careful look at the manifold and I’m concerned that it was actually plumbed up incorrectly. Now it has been running for a couple of years and broadly working but I am concerned whether the wrong flow direction could have implications as to how it is balanced not to mention the flowmeters and temperature gauge being non-functional. We have had challenges getting the rooms appropriately adjusted in spite of the remote stats. Flow is coming in at the bottom and the return is via the top red manifold. Photos attached any ideas appreciated.

BB94D81B-8ACB-4500-B1C4-59AD75BD1404.jpeg
06DDCC1A-23DA-4015-957B-D518B504B1B6.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Flow is coming in at the bottom and the return is via the top red manifold. Photos attached any ideas appreciated.
If that is indeed the case then it is reversed flow should be at the top and return at the bottom

Do the boiler feed the UFH directly? There must be a blending valve somewhere (if there's not the the floor will get too hot)

Please put up a picture of the cirulating pump and blending valve

Nozzle

Yes there is a blending valve and pump on the Mitsubishi air source system. Will send picture shortly.

Sponsored Links
If that is indeed the case then it is reversed flow should be at the top and return at the bottom

thanks. Yes, it seems that would be why you have a temp gauge on the top left (presumably should be top right) to measure the flow temp. It appears to cause the flow meters not to work. But beyond that is it likely to cause any other issue?

The temp gauge is correct where it is but the flow meters wont work on the return, how do you know what the flow and return are ? are you just going by which pipe is hottest or can you see the pump ? you say you had a problem with the pump, was new one fitted, was it fitted the right way around ?

The fault was found to be the valve which wasn’t opening sufficiently. That has been replaced. The slab is cold and the bottom manifold is warm. The top is slowly warming as I assume heat loss in the cold slab is cooling the water. The flow meters have never shown anything.

can you post more pics of the valve you refer to and the pump, not sure what you are referring to , what is the slab ?

Will do. I meant the concrete slab as the heating has been off or two weeks it is very cold. So the return side is still barely warm.

They are all open. But obviously they don’t measure in reverse flow so the system can never have been balanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back