Potterton 28 HE Plus Combi Boiler Leak at 3 way valve and

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I wonder if you could help me:

The potterton 28 HE plus is around 10 years old. On two occasions in the last 2 months the chs and hot water stopped working. On the first I occasion the pressure had dropped to 0.5 bar and I just topped up the system and it started working.

On the second occasion I was keeping an eye on the pressure which was going very close to 3 bar(the cut off point)and then it stopped working and the pressure dropped down to 0.5.

Having read the faq on diynot I decided to try to measure the expansion vessel pressure but I could not get my hand in to access the valve. The valve is on the top but I could not see a way to remove the top panel to access it and could not access it from head on.

Whilst doing this I had a look around and noticed white powder discharge coming from a bolt on what i think is the three way valve and other discharge on the drain off bolt.

So basically are these leaking?

What should be my next step?

I have attached pictures which hopefully make it clearer.

Thank you in advance.

View media item 73920 View media item 73921 View media item 73922 View media item 73923 View media item 73924

Sponsored Links
It looks like you're getting too involved. Although this is not classed as "gas work" the area that the expansion vessel is in is a sealed unit that effects the combustion.

No, not qualified.

I just took off the front panel to measure the pressure in the expansion vessel which I had done a few times on a different boiler.

Sponsored Links
You need a angled pressure gauge and need to remove the bracket holding the green spark generator then you can get you hand in.

Yeah I removed the spark generator but still couldn't get my hand in. I was using a standard gauge though not an angled one.

Thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back