Potterton Combi 80 - need to install a timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I need to install a mechanical or digital timer on our Potterton Combi 80 boiler. It doesn't have a timer at present and we control the central heating using the thermostat installed in our living room. I know there is a mechanical or digital timer available which can be fitted on to the boiler itself. However, my query is if it is straight forward to install one of these timers or is it a complex job?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with the potterton timers, just replace your room thermostat with a programmable thermostat. Basic ones start at about £20.

I wouldn't bother with the potterton timers, just replace your room thermostat with a programmable thermostat. Basic ones start at about £20.

Thanks Chris,
I thought the same as well but when I spoke to my local boiler man, he said if I replace the room thermostat, I would need to rewire from boiler (upstairs) to living room (downstairs) as I would need "live" wire. Not sure if he is right. :confused:

You're right to be unsure. He's wrong. They mostly use a battery which lasts several years, and have a pair of contacts which switch whatever was being switched before!
No problem at all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back