Potterton EP2001

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello....first time using this so please bare with me. I have a problem with my boiler and need some help. Old back boiler LPG system with a EP2001 control panel.

Heating was working fine but has suddenly stopped working. Pilot light is still on, Gas tank is full, but when I turn the heating and water onto continuous as I normally do it makes the noise as though it is trying to do something, but gas does not ignite?

Complete novice when it comes to Central heating.....can anyone suggest a quick fix?

Sponsored Links
sorry mate we need a lot more information than you have provided, your system is relatively simple so should be easy enough to point you in the right direction but we need more details of what system you have i.e control wise zone valves ? mid position valve ? is the pump running etc .

Thanks for coming back to me.....seems I am even less than a novice as I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I can take some pics and post if that would help at all?

How would I know if the pump was working ok? It sounds as though something is engaging when I set the panel to cont.

Sorry to be so vague.

feel the pump and you should be able to tell if it is running it will vibrate very slightly, zone valves control the heating and hot water so you can have them individually but you may not have any as it is a back boiler it may be what is called a gravity hot water system, take pics of all the attachments pump all controls etc and that will tell us more of how to help you, also when you slide the EP2001 to heating on does the HW on light come on at the same time ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your patience. I will take some pics and post them, it is a gravity boiler.

The control panel has always been dubious since we bought the house, hot water has to be switched to cont for the heating to work......is that normal for this system?

Panel seems to be working fine, all lights come on when heating/hot water is selected.

it sounds like you do have a gravity HW system, the EP2001 can be set as Gravity or fully pumped and it sounds as though yours has never been set properly as if set for Gravity the HW will come on automatically when you select heating only, you dont need to post pics we now know what system you have, the only way to test if it is an external control problem is to select heating and HW and turn up your room thermostat if you have one and then see if you have 230V AC going to the back boiler (do you know which make and model you have ?)

Thanks. In the house just now. Bolier is a BAXI Bermuda 552. Front unit is a BAXI Bermuda C5W.

Pump seems to be coming on when heating selected. Pump is a Grundfos Selectric.

I don't have any thermostats in the house, unless that is the control on the front unit Low to high type selection?

well the good news is the Baxi you have is the best of the back boilers, you say that the pilot is on is the grey button that you push to light the pilot fully out ? pull it to see

Grey button was fully out. Have just turned the pilot off and relit successfully grey button fully out again.

Tried to set heating on and pump is coming on but nothing. I could usually see and hear the boiler igniting.

the only way to test further is to see if you have 230V AC going to the gas valve on the BBU but as you have to remove the firefront to check this Im afraid you will need a registered Gas Installer to do this it is probably a faulty gas valve (common) or possibly a faulty boiler thermostat (not so common but possible) it may be your EP2001 but you will have to test to see if you have the correct voltage getting to the boiler to work out which it is

Thanks....at least I can now point them in the right direction and hopefully save on cost!

Appreciate your help.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back