Potterton EP2002 or boiler problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Potterton EP2002 timer, with a Potterton Profile 30e boiler.
Recently, the CH has been off, and the HW only being on timed and it has been fine. I turned on the CH for a short while 2 days ago, and now the HW doesn't work at all.

If the HW is in any on position (and the CH in the off position), the CH comes on, but the water doesn't heat up. Basically, if I switch the HW to timed or on, I get no hot water and the CH comes on.

I have tried resetting the timer but press the "+" and "-" buttons, but the screen goes blank and when I take my fingers off the buttons, the time re-appears with no change.

I have taken the timer off the wall, put it back on again (?) but that doesn't make any difference.
I have no idea on plumbing on heating, so am unsure whether it is a timer or boiler issue? I have had a few issues with the timer, as I did have to reset it a few times a while ago, but would assume it was the timer.
Would like some advice if anyone has any ideas, before I shell out £50 or so for a new timer, to find out it was something else.

Hope this makes sense, and many thanks for reading.

Graham.

Sponsored Links
Def not a boiler issue. as it fires up and runs.

what type of valves do you have ?

1 of
imagesug.jpg

2 of
imapo.jpg

i would say you have a 3 port stuck in ch position.
cyl stat maybe calling but 3 port sending water to ch

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

As I say, I am what's known as a thicko when it comes to these sorts of things

Where do I find these valves?

Again, thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have taken a look, and it seems to be a Sunvic Unishare...does this seem the right sort of thing?

There doesn't seem to be any sort of switch on it, should there be?

Many thanks.

Unishares are 3 port valves and it may well be jammed in the ch position.
Remove the power head from the valve and see if the shaft moves freely, and that the valve returns to hw under spring return. Its ok to do this yourself and with the head off you can check that the valve is motoring correctly.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I will remove the screws from the corners and give this a go. Do I need to turn the power off and/or turn off any water?

All you need to do is to make sure the spindle on the valve body is free to move by hand. Do not remove the cover from the actuator but simply observe that it moves when you switch the system on for heating then hot water and then both together.

Just for info, all is working now.
The valve was clogged up, so hadn't returned properly to HW only, hence by the CH was still on and no hot water. Al least that is what I was told.

At least I wasn't ripped of as I knew where the problem was.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back