Potterton Netaheat Electronic works, except when it doesn't

Oh well, thanks for the ideas. I'll see how much my regular service guy would charge to fit a new controller, that may be worth a punt.

Sponsored Links
Thats totally the wrong thing to do!

If YOU tell him to replace a part then he takes no responsibility for the outcome if it does not cure the fault.

You need to get HIM to diagnose the fault ( correctly ) and then if he replaces a part which turns out not to be needed then thats his responsibility and you dont have to pay for the new part!

Tony

In reality though that's not going to happen. If the rgi falsely thinks its the PCB and changes it, when the problem isn't fixed he then turns round and says "ah the thermocouple is faulty as well!" And then fits that in addition.

Most suppliers won't take the PCB back after its been fitted, and if the tradesman takes it back accepting responsibility he'll likely make a huge loss on the job, which clearly he doesnt want.

You also can't argue with them, as ofcourse they're the expert so they'll simply spout some ****e about the PCB being damaged as well as the other part.

And it happens with every trade. A friend poured about a grand into an Audi dealers pockets changing the injectors and entire fuel system on an A4 after the dealer misdiagnosed a turbo actuator fault. In the end the dealer did change the actuator for free, but the other unneeded work was still paid for, albeit with some goodwill reduction in the price, as the dealer made lots of lame excuses about how those parts were faulty and were causing other underlying issues.

There of course may be the odd really honest guy out there who would admit his mistake, but you don't know if you've hired one of those or not.

Most suppliers won't take the PCB back after its been fitted, and if the tradesman takes it back accepting responsibility he'll likely make a huge loss on the job, which clearly he doesnt want.

There of course may be the odd really honest guy out there who would admit his mistake, but you don't know if you've hired one of those or not.

I would never charge for a part which was not required !

Just keep it in stock.

But then I aim to diagnose the problem correctly in the first place. Thats by testing !

Tony

Sponsored Links
I met my friend who insists on doing DIY repairs to his ancient Netaheat in spite of my attempts to disuade him.

He first bought the wrong size mercury switch ( the 3/4" one ) whereas he needed the 1/2" version. So he has a surplus brand new spare one now!

He has realised that he fitted it the wrong way round which sounds dangerous.

Also he has fitted the mercury phial* in the flame the wrong way and the stainless capillary tube has become heated by the flame. He is scared in case it breaks after detempering if he tries to correct that!

He is not short of money and probably has nearly £2M of assets!

Tony

* Although he is a chemist, we were not sure if the word was "vial" or "phial" or about the pronounciation of the latter word.

In fact they both have the same meaning and are spoken as expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back