Potterton Performa 28 - no HW when heating not on..!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

First time poster, just wondering if anyone can give me a steer as to what to do with this odd problem.

Starting a few days ago, our Potterton Performa 28 boiler doesn't give us any hot water when switched to just HW. The light under the tap symbol never comes on at all, doesn't even flash to indicate a proper "fault". If we want hot water we have to switch it to CH/HW when along with the heating eventually we'll get some hot water, but mysteriously the light under the tap symbol *still* never illuminates. So it's managing to heat the water as a side effect of turning the heating on, but never on its own.

The heating works fine, and the boiler certainly fires up when it's switched to CH/HW, but never just HW.

Any pointers? Anything I can do myself, or is this a huge problem involving a call out? Any help would be invaluable, cheers.!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help mate - much appreciated.

Would this be something I could do myself? Where's the best place to go looking for a replacement?

Yes. The most common place would be HERE , although other places may be slightly cheaper.

About a 30 min job for a novice, all you have to do is turn the cold mains off under the boiler, open a hot tap to release any pressure, put a tray under the diaphragm assembly and then take the front off the assembly.

No gas parts involved.

About £70 + VAT if you called someone in.

Sponsored Links
That doesn't sound too bad. I think if I can find a diagram of what's what inside the boiler that should be easy enough. Having said that, tempted just to call someone to do it so as not to tempt fate....

One last thing - would you be able to point me in the direction of the right part/part number? Not 100% sure what i'm looking for!

Thanks again for all your help mate

Well for once you seem to be overcharging Tony :eek: :LOL:

£60 call out and a tenner retail for the diaphragm is all I would charge, all plus VAT of course ;)

Thanks for all the help everyone - I appreciate the "quotes" but please don't start fighting about it! :)

Most importantly, bearing in mind i'm in Edinburgh, does anyone know of anyone who is reputable and reasonably priced that operates in this area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back