Potterton Prima F60 firing from cold problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is experiencing start up problems.

After the fan starts and electrode sparks the pilot light does not ignite for anything up to 25 sparks. Once the pilot does light the main burner kicks in and the boiler runs fine ie once running the pilot kicks in after 1 spark after call for heat.

I have looked through this site extensively and could not find a similar problem.

I suspected the pilot to be blocked after reading the boiler manual but I found by actually lighting the pilot it would fire.

Could it be a partially blocked pilot or even a gas valve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We dont advise on DIY gas repairs here.

The obvious advice is to call a competent gas reg engineer to give it a proper service!

Tony

Agile thanks for speedy response. Forgot to mention that I have had the boiler serviced by a competant reg gas engineer. He too thought a "good clean" would rectify the problem. However the problem still exists. His recommendation is to see if it gets worse as it's present condition is not unsafe. Rather than wait for it to fail which could be on xmas day knowing my luck I was hoping others may have experienced this problem.

Sponsored Links
Great feedback Blooflame. I was never going to undertake the work myself but now I can challenge my gas engineer's diagnosis. Agile's response was not very useful

I am sorry if you thought my reply was not very helpful.

But its all that common sense and the forum rules allow! In fact Booflame was probably exceeding what is allowed.

However, that is only his guess! He has not been there. I dont think its correct either but thats immaterial.

Only your engineer has been there! That is a very simple fault that any competent engineer should be able to easily identify.

Tony

Great feedback Blooflame. I was never going to undertake the work myself but now I can challenge my gas engineer's diagnosis. Agile's response was not very useful

How can you expect to "challenge" your engineer's judgement when you are not qualified and solely relying on a guess from someone who has never seen your boiler?

And in my view its not even a correct guess anyway?

Tony

interesting response Agile ie non whatsover.
the boiler manual points to blocked pilot or solenoid valve.

Boiler manuals are often a waste of time....experienced boiler repairers rarely use them or listen to manufacturers technical lines because they're far too simplistic and lack the knowledge.

There's a whole host of reasons why the pilot flame is failing to ignite but since its gas related few are going to give you clues to the problem.

As for the pilot solenoid...unlikely but I'm not stood in front of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back