Potterton Profile 80 not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recently moved into my new home, which has a Potterton Profile 80 boiler heating a vented CH & HW system. There are 2 HW cylinders located in the loft, below the cold water cistern.

Both CH & HW were working fine until I replaced 2 of the radiators, ever since ,the boiler fails to ignite (the pilot light remains off).

Before I made the replacements, I first turned both the HW & CH on the controller to OFF, closed the CH cistern tank supply valve, drained the system, replaced the rads, refilled the system (took a while due to the valve not opening up properly), bled the rads and finally turned the HW & CH ON at the controller.

First there was no response at all. then I found out that I may need to press the "red cross button" - some overheat system, after which the fan operated when the thermostat is turned up, but still no pilot light or ignition.

HELP

Sponsored Links
hi it could be the air pressure switch not pulling in with the fan that will stop it ignighting, its not a job for diy though , you could have a look to see if any of the plastic pipes are broken or split i always carry a peice of tubing so i can suck on the a p s pipe very gently to see if its operating also there should be 240v on the switch check to see if its switching over when the fan comes on

Just to update.

The boiler seems to be working fine now.

I am guessing that the part that tripped the overheat function must have cooled down sufficiently enough over-night.

However, I perhaps need to drain the system again, as I have read in the manual (at http://www.partsarena.com) that my bathroom radiator (a by-pass radiator) can only be fitted with lockshield valves.

Good thing it is summer & a weekend, else I would have called out a Corgi engineer for nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back