Potterton Promax HE plus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of advice please. I have the above boiler and it keeps failing to fire until I press the reset button.

About 2 years ago I had TRV's put on all rads apart from the room with the stat installed, whereas before there were 8 rads without. Since then I've had this issue.

I have British Gas homecare and have had them out to look a couple of times, first time the guy said it was because the stat in the boiler was up too high (it was turned right up) so he turned it down as he said it was overheating.

Second time the guy changed loads of parts, but it's still happening intermittently.

Could it be because of the TRV's being fitted that the boiler is overheating, I'm thinking if all the TRV's are satisfied there's not enough in the non satisfied rads to take the heat away from the boiler. If thats the case would turning the internal
stat down some more solve the issue? Anyone with any experience win this boiler know where it should be set to?

Obviously I'm aware that I can get BG out again but just looking for a second opinion really.

Sponsored Links
Hi, just after a bit of advice please. I have the above boiler and it keeps failing to fire until I press the reset button.

About 2 years ago I had TRV's put on all rads apart from the room with the stat installed, whereas before there were 8 rads without. Since then I've had this issue.

I have British Gas homecare and have had them out to look a couple of times, first time the guy said it was because the stat in the boiler was up too high (it was turned right up) so he turned it down as he said it was overheating.

Second time the guy changed loads of parts, but it's still happening intermittently.

Could it be because of the TRV's being fitted that the boiler is overheating, I'm thinking if all the TRV's are satisfied there's not enough in the non satisfied rads to take the heat away from the boiler. If thats the case would turning the internal
stat down some more solve the issue? Anyone with any experience win this boiler know where it should be set to?

Obviously I'm aware that I can get BG out again but just looking for a second opinion really.

Take the TRV heads off and then see what happens. It's a Promax. Probably one of the worst for any fault you can imagine in recent years. Get BG back.

Thanks I'll give it a try. I will get BG back in but seriously considering if it's worth looking at a new boiler in the near future rather than the hassle of this one going forward, it's 12 years old this year.

Thanks I'll give it a try. I will get BG back in but seriously considering if it's worth looking at a new boiler in the near future rather than the hassle of this one going forward, it's 12 years old this year.

Do you own a car? How old is it? :)

Sponsored Links
I struggle to see the relevance but I'll play along, no I lease a van and it's 11 months old.

The relevance is to do with how much you'd put up with something, that you heavily depend on, when it starts to frequently cause you problems by developing faults, cost you time and money, is of a certain age and was, perhaps, not the best product in the first place. ;)

The relevance is to do with how much you'd put up with something, that you heavily depend on, when it starts to frequently cause you problems by developing faults, cost you time and money, is of a certain age and was, perhaps, not the best product in the first place. ;)

Hence why I'm considering a replacment, unfortunately I never chose it, it came with the house.

My original query was more to do with whether me having extra TRV's installed could have caused or contributed to these problems and whether the flow temperature setting could make any difference.

It is a pretty unreliable boiler.

But what heat output is it?

What total power are all your rads? [ You can compare their sizes with similar ones in a catalogue like Screwfix.]

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back