potterton puma 100e piece of cack has stopped again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi chaps; im throwing myself in the pot for advice; the back ground may be long but hopefully will prompt a solution.
had boiler 3/4 years and it stopped ch'ing waggled wires found loose pin and resoldered ~ sorted
then last week ch stopped again thought sod it bought new board cause i could'nt solder it up again. then fitted board. boiler fired up lasted about 20 seconds then sounded like it was boiling in the heat exchanger, and hissing out of the bleed valve on top hot water gave up then as well. undid black knob on pump it felt like it was spinning but i believe the impeller breaks off?

ideas please;

Sponsored Links
do not resolder old pcbs, especially puma ones which tend to burn out!

there's loads of possibilities on these boilers, take your pick from knackered pumps, sticking microswitchs, jammed wax capsules, blocked heat exchangers, inaccurate thermistors

Sponsored Links
turn heating off, run hot water tap approx 1 min turn tap off feel 22mm heating pipes under combi, diverter valve should open within approx 30 sec to dump heat from combi if pipes don't get hot or goes to lock out diverter valve may need replacing also check pump.
I would suggest this combi is a lot older than 3/4 years.
if you have drained combi then it may be air trapped in heat exchanger.

no , the diverter only opens when ch demand has melted the wax capsule. one of us is talking about a different boiler . i dont think its me :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back