Potterton Puma 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, hoping someone can give me the answer, my boiler is losing pressure then tripping the elecrics so it goes off, however i noticed alot of water dripping out the bottom so when i took the cover off it seems to be coming from a large sealed unit that also houses the pilot light. Today i have had replaced the Gas Valve and Pressure Vessell and still got the original problem of pressure loss and the leak underneath, when i took the cover off the boiler to look for myself the water from the unit has dripped onto the gas valve (which i didn't think needed replacing) and must of tripped electrics. Does anybody have any ideas or lend some advice as i have now spent £250 and cannot afford to conned into another part that i don't need. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Its not terribly clear exactly what you have had replaced and why!

If there was water leaking then that is a very obvious fault and should have been fixed as a priority.

The "unit with the pilot light" is the combustion chamber! Any leaking inside that is classed as IMMEDIATEY DANGEROUS!!! the boiler should be turned off until that is repaired.

It would usually be the heat exchanger which is very heavy and expensive!

Tony

Try the automatic air vent, top of the boiler, on the left. They often leak.
£250? Maybe £2.50.

When the boiler's cold you should be able to see what's damp.

If not, check that a neighbour's drain or gutter isn't dribbling into your flue!

When the engineer came out the boiler was off because it was on lockout and wouldn't relite, so i told him there was water coming out of all the vents fom underneath the boiler, he took the cover off and said there was no gas coming from the gas valve to ignite the boiler and therefore had to be replaced also that the leak was coming from the pressure vessel which sits at the back of the boiler which he also replaced, he left today after replacing parts and after 4 hours im back to square one. When you take of the front cover of boiler it exposes the controls & gas valve the rest of it concealed inside a metal box unit, about half way up is a small window were you can see the pilot light, i forgot to mention the auto air vent has also been replaced, i am calling the engineer back tomorrow but would appreciate any background knowledge before he comes.

Sponsored Links
check his corgi ID, soundslike a complete merchant. If he lagit dont pay anymore untill you're satisfide, true example of a confident engineer.

A leaking auto air vent 'AAV' will take out the gas valve, which in turn can damage the mod board.

If you have a leak inside the 'sealed unit' then this could be from the AAV, water ingress from the flue or the main heat exchanger has split.

Thankyou for the help, the problem was the heat exchanger had split has cost me £250 + vat to buy, next time rather than just getting someone in who i think "knows what he's doing" i will ask for advice from the this forum, this venture has cost me nearly £550 because of original mis-diagnoses, no annual holiday for me this year.

shannon1 said:
Thankyou for the help, the problem was the heat exchanger had split has cost me £250 + vat to buy

Sorry, but would have been better spent.... putting towards a new boiler.

baxpoti said:
If you have a leak inside the 'sealed unit' then this could be from the AAV, water ingress from the flue or the main heat exchanger has split.

I think you were thinking of another model when you said that!

As you know the AAV is strategically located at top left so it takes out the gas valve and then the mod PCB when it leaks!

The cynical could be excused for thinking its intentionally designed to do that !!!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back