Potterton Puma locking out.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am slowly losing the will to live with my Potterton Puma 80e. The unit was fitted last summer by myself and commissioned by a local heating engineer.

Initially all seemed well, the water worked fine and there was no call for the central heating. However when the cold weather started I tried utilising the central heating but the damn thing keeps locking out. :evil: I have tried turning down the central heating temperature control which did have the effect of prolonging the amount of time prior to it locking out (up to around 3 to 4 hours now)but generally speaking it will do it once or twice a day.

What compounds the problem is that if the central heating is running and you draw hot water it invariably ALWAYS locks out. The water may come through really hot initially then cool off (as opposed to if the c. heating isn't running when the water temperature isn't very hot at all). Also , with the central heating off, if you run the hot water slowly until it builds temperature up then open the tap fully - it seems to maintain the higher temperature despite the much higher flow rate? :confused:

If I wasn't such a half-wit I would guess at the Overheat thermostat being faulty although I tried to research in here and discover a problem with PCB's and sticking DHW flow switches.......(Chris R seems to be "THE MAN" on this boiler!)

To be honest, the unit is less than a year old and I'm on the verge of ringing Potterton to get an engineer out - can anyone think of anything else to check (that may be my fault from the fitting) before I do this - or else it might get kinda pricey! :eek: Also - the unit is in my loft space but has an inbuilt frost stat - could this be the problem?

Promises of expensive gifts and the sole use of my harem of wives to the one who can stave off the frostbite currently taking hold of my children....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back