powdery scratch coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a go at exernal rendering yesterday for the first time - its only 8 sqm so not loads.

I used a 4:1 mix with plastering sand and used a combined waterproofer/plasticiser. Applied directly to a new dense concrete block wall that i wetted down before applying...

Render went on fine, flatted it out and scratched it up - but today, after its dried, the surface is powdery - if i rub it with my hand i can almost rub the comb lines out. Will it be OK to apply the top coat on to it? Was gonna use a 1:1:5 mix for it - cant understand why its gone powdery though. Its very solid and really well bonded to the wall, just wondering if it will be a problem.....

Sponsored Links
Your problem is that it has dried out rather than cured. Draping a wet old blanket or sack over it would have helped. It'll often harden a bit later on (that's what my missus says). ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back