Power Screwdriving Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Well basically, I want to know how do I do it??

I am fine with a manual screwdriver, but can't seem to be able to drive a screw in with a drill.

How can I put the following right?

1) There are so many sizes in the screwdriver bits set, so how do I choose which one I need, bearing in mind that almost all of the sizes fit neatly into the screw's head anyway?

2) I usually start off VERY slowly but still the bit pops out from the screw's head and makes an awfully irritating noise as it tries to destroy the screw head.

3) Same as above but this time the screwdriver tries to drill a hole into a closeby worksurface.

4) Even if I DO manage to get a screw all the way in (and take it slowly and steadily near the end) the screw bit still pops out of the screwhead determined to destroy it or the nearby surface. I've read that a 'clutch' would stop the drill from rotating if it met much resistance, i.e. at the end of driving, but do all drills have this feature?

5) How do I dare to hold the screw in place with my hand if there is a wandering highspeed drill bit on the loose?

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back