Power shower and erratic water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We previously had a lever mixer valve for our power shower (i.e. left to right for temp, up or down for flow).

We then had a new boiler put in during the summer (this may or may not be relevant!) and a new hot water cylinder.

The pump subsequently broke, but that could have been age anyway.

We replaced it with one from Wickes for about £100.

We then started getting what I would descibe as water pressure surges and temperature changes (i.e. going cold)

So I thought the ceramic valves had gone on the old mixer and therefore bought one of the bar thermostatic mixers.

We don't get temperature surges now, but - depending on time of day (and I've found no consistency in it - does it when water is heating up or not, and when central heating is warming up or not), the pressure just dwindles away.

So, we got a Surrey Flange put in.

We still have the problem. It can be partly rectified by turning down the water pressure until it almost dies off, then turning it back on - result is a full flow.

I wonder whether we changed the mixer for nothing, but what is causing the problem now? How can we get a decent flow, all the time, from the moment it's turned on without having to turn it down and then up again?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back