Power shower help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process or getting a power shower.
Here's the details:
The hot water cylinder is in the airing cupboard, the salamander pump will be on a shelf just above it, the cold water tank is in the loft 2 foot above the pump.
The run from here to the shower is about 20 feet, the 9inch diameter shower rose is 4 inches from the ceiling.
The vents/flanges etc that are needed will be sorted out by a plumber as yet not arranged.
Using a Salamander CT75 pump would this be ok, have heard somewhere that from the bottom of the cold water tank to the shower rose should be 2 feet, if this is the case I would have to raise the tank in the loft and also run the pipework at waist height in the loft!!!

Sponsored Links
As long as you get 1l per min flow rate from the shower, the pump flow switch will work fine and the tank won't need raising.

The CT75 should really be at the bottom of the cylinder though. Make sure both feeds to the pump are in 22mm pipe, right upto the flexible connectors, where you'll need to reduce to 15mm.

The pipes you'll need will be a 22mm cold feed from the tank to the pump, with no restrictions (use a gate/lever valve). A 22mm hot feed to the pump, fed from a Salamander S-Flange or Essex flange. 15mm hot and cold feeds from the pump to the shower.

Yes, pipework will go inside the airing cupboard up to the loft, I am doing the pipework in the shower up to the loft and am getting a plumber to do everything else and to check over.

Sponsored Links
i think you'll find the ct75 won't be up to 6m+ pipe run in the loft.

you be luck to achieve 1 litre/min on each side natural flow.

had one like that not long ago pump wouldn't kick in.

i would phone salamander first, i think you'll find they advice on a esp pump.

^ +1

Give them a call, and they'll reccommend the right pump for the job.

You don't want to get it all piped up and then find out that it won't kick in. :rolleyes:

i hate it when you go to price a job and the customer says i've already got the pump.

bet your life its a ct pump cheapest out the lot.

and no good for what he wants.

• Position the pump at the base of the h/w cylinder if you can but if not, at least 2ft below the cws tank.
• Run the pipe work from the pump in 22mm as far as you can, preferably right up to the mixer valve.
• Vent any up & over feeds from the pump to the shower head or it will eventually air lock.
• You’ve already spotted a potential problem with the distance from the u/side of the cws tank to the shower head but this also applies to any up & over feed pipes. You may have a potential negative head situation & rather than take the risk & added expense, you may be better off with a negative head pump; or use Salamander’s self detecting pump.

& chose your plumber very carefully; some haven’t got a clue with regard to the correct installation of shower pumps as a read through the archive posts will tell. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back