Shower Pump Selection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are putting a new bathroom in and also a shower pump as our current gravity system is giving us the normal low pressure as you get with this type of system.

The hot water tank is located on the first floor and the cold water tank is in the loft. The idea is to put the pump next to the hot water tank and right underneath the cold water tank. The pipes from here then feed the areas I describe next.

The bathroom is upstairs on 1st floor with 1 thermostatic shower mixer which also fills the bathtub. In the same bathroom there is also a sink with a mixer tap. There is also a toilet.

The toilet on the ground floor has a sink with a mixer tap and a toilet.

How powerful does the pump need to be? Currently I am between 1.5 and 2 bar?

The pumps I am looking at are the following from Screwfix?

-Salamander Shower Pump CT50 1.5 Bar
-Salamander Shower Pump CT75 2.0 Bar

Any better suggestions for a quiet and reliable pump?

//Aryl.

Sponsored Links
1-5 - 2 won't make much difference to noise or performance. Remember the pump will come on if the wc is flushed - audible at night.
Those pumps are ok and as quiet as any.

I know the post is old - but I am going through the same dilema - Salamander guided me away from the CT range and towards a ESP 50 CPV (based on my current flow (crap) and the fact I am filling the bath after the mixer like you. What did you end up with?

Sponsored Links
I bought a Stuart Turner monsoon Positive 2.0 bar Twin and installed it myself. I would definately go for one of these as they built to last i.e. no plastics like the Salamander.

Dedicated connections of hot (from hot water cylinder via a Surrey flange) and cold water (from cold water tank in loft) for the thermostatic shower/bath mixer.

In order to fit the Surrey flange I had to redo the connections for the existing hot water. This was the most difficult part as I had to solder in very narrow space indoors (TAKE GREAT CARE!!!). Also the connectors (1" <> compression fitting) to the Surrey flange need to be tightened well with the right amount of PTFE in the right place or they will leak.

For the pump I decided to use John Guest speedfit and their 22mm PEX pipe (25m role ~£40 from Screwfix). The reason was to avoid soldering indoors in tight spaces and to reduce the number of connections. From the airing cupboard to the bath I have 2 continuos pipes under the floor. To make the speedfit connections is very easy and quick. The tricky bit is the 22mm PEX pipe, it is very stiff but with care and some force you are able to run it in fairly tight turns without cutting it and use connectors.

The last tricky thing was to cut the hole in the cold water tank in the loft. I drilled it and almost cracked the whole with the drill but stopped just in time to avoid it. So take care with this as well!

So the pump works very well, it starts immediately as you turn the tap on without any delay. When the mixer is fully open it gives about 13-14 litres/min and just open 7-8 litres/min. So yes more water consumption but faster shower...

The noise is not too bad, it is definately possible to hear at the moment but the airing cupboard it still empty and the shelves need to go back in with towels etc which should dampen it further. Also the pump sits on a wooden platform at the moment which I will change for a paving slab with some noise proofing from this company

http://www.soundservice.co.uk/Pump Noise.htm

Do not think the noise it is that bad, it would just be nice to get it almost silent!

Good Luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back