Power To Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to be running power to my shed in the coming weeks and will be doing all the work my self (notifying before and after with building control)

I will be installing one 13a double socket and one 28w 2D light fitting, would it be OK to run a 2.5mm cable supplied by a 20a RCBO via black plastic conduit from my garage along the wall 10m to the shed then use a FCU to supply the light and socket?

Im open to suggestions on the best way to do it :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would always use SWA outside so can't see why one would need conduit. The basic design seems OK. I would include the design when applying to the LABC if they don't like it they can then raise objections before you start.

I had problems with my LABC accepting qualifications. My son only had a C&G2391 and C&G2381 at that time and they would not accept his signature. They did however accept my signature as I had a degree in electrical and electronic engineering. We had a good laugh as the C&G2391 was far better than my degree for the work being done. (I also had a C&G2391 but they didn't know that.)

So my advice is submit as detailed plan as you can so if he has second thoughts you can point out you have followed the plan submitted which they accepted.

The job I did was for the disabled and as such no LABC charges. But can't see it being worth using the LABC if you need to pay them as cheaper to get a scheme member electrician to do the work for you.

I personally would use SWA (steel wired armoured) a little more difficult to terminate than T&E as you will need a gland pack to terminate.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Terminating_SWA.
If you chose to use SWA it would be best to offer RCD protection at the shed rather than from CU to distribution cable.
But better than conduit and T&E for outside environment.
Also consider, if you may sometime in the future required a little more than 20A for you load at the shed that it may be worth installing 4.00mm cable rather than 2.5mm.
The wall you are fitting to also needs to be secure and permanent structure.

I would proberbly used SWA too, depending on the run and where it is.

I would also proberbly use 4mm^2 and make it a little over lenght (loose the excess lenght in the shed) such that it could be reused if a slightly diffrent shed replaced the current one in due coarse. But if you dont expect to ever need that, and its not very far anyway, it might be redundant future-proofing.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Definitely SWA. Not only will it be easier to deal with rather than mess with routing cable down conduit, it may also be cheaper too overall. SWA glands terminate very nicely in metal enclosures too, to give a robust solution.

I am going to be running power to my shed in the coming weeks and will be doing all the work my self (notifying before and after with building control)
Are you sure that for a job as small as this it wouldn't be cheaper to use an electrician rather than pay LABC fees?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back